2012-07-23

Mini-tour around Entebbe with Charles

I am at Entebbe waiting for my flight.

Before going here I did a mini-journey around Entebbe with my special-hire driver Charles. 


This is how I got to know Charles: last Sunday, brother, Arnab were going out for dinner, our first evening in Kampala. Charles was stationed outside the Mediterranean (sp?) restaurant opposite Mish Mash, where we'd considered having dinner, and he drove the three of us to Garden City shopping mall. He gave us his business card and said that he could drive us again if we called him. But I threw the card away during the week. 


However, coincidentally, last night, Arnab and I went to the same restaurant and happened to again get a ride with Charles who was stationed outside. Charles again offered us his card and when I saw it I realised it was the same driver. I asked him if he could take me to the airport the next day and he said he could. 


Restless in Kampala, I left early. I had a vague idea of exploring the town of Entebbe on the way to the airport, maybe grabbing a bite to eat. So I asked Charles to take me to Entebbe town. On the way to the airport we began talking, about Ugandan people and Ugandan politics. I told Charles he had driven us last Sunday and he remembered us. So by the time we got to Entebbe wed decided hed drive me on a mini-tour around the town. He showed me the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo (we didnt go in though!), President Museveni's residence, the house of the first catholic missionary in Uganda, and two beaches of Lake Victoria, on which we took a stroll


Then we went to a restaurant (rather touristy) where it felt silly to eat alone so I offered to buy him lunch. We both had vegetable pilau, and Charles had a Mountain Dew and I had a Mirinda pineapple (sodas). 


I asked him loads of questions about Uganda. He was fed up with Musevenis 25-year rule and deplored the corrupt government officials. He said people would eventually get fed up but hoped that there would not be a revolution because revolutions are violent and innocent people lose their lives. I also found out that Charles has a wife and a daughter and a son. 


After food, we drove to the airport, both pleased with the unexpectedly pleasant afternoon. Anyway. Going to gate now!

1 comment: